Saturday, October 9, 2010

Embracing Change

(Written by: Bud Hennekes)

Change

Does that word scare you? If you're like most, the word change stops your heart in its tracks.

Yet the truth of the matter is, we can't hide from change.

Everyday moment of our life, we experience change. We grow. We learn. We move to a new house (or country). We end and create new relationships.

Change is what makes the world flow.

Learning to deal with change may seem to be a daunting task at first, but it can and must be, one of our greatest priorities.

At the young age of 16, I experienced profound change.

You see, at the beginning of my Jr. year of high school I boarded a plane from Houston, Texas to begin a new life in Shanghai, China.

Talk about change.

Moving across the entire world… To communist China ? (OK so I learned China isn't that bad.) I was scare, I was nervous and I was excited. Despite the plethora of emotions, I knew I had a choice. I could whine and moan or I could make the best out of the move to Shanghai . Luckily I chose the later.

Over the past few years I have come accustom to experiencing change - Whether it is saying
goodbye to friends and family or beginning a new direction in my life. Change has made me who I am today.

Here are some tips I have found to helpful to make the most of changes in our lives:

Keep An Open Mind:

Keeping an open mind is absolutely essential. The worst thing you can do is tell yourself to not like change, because then your subconscious mind goes to work.

When moving to Shanghai , I could have easily told myself I would hate it (and to be honest I did have my days), yet I did my very best to keep an open mind and as a result I came to love my days in Shanghai .

This doesn't just apply to moving. Keeping an open mind is a key component to making the most of any situation.

One of my favorite quotes applies here:"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" – Shakespeare

Look To Grow:

When you are faced with change it is important that you ask yourself how this can make me grow.

Moving to Shanghai provided me with many wonderful benefits; Going to an international school, expanding my global horizons, and the ability to embrace the Chinese culture and language.

Because I looked at the move as an opportunity to grow, I was able to make the most out of a situation that could easily have become a disaster.

When you look to grow rather than focus on the negatives you will be surprised at how much easier dealing with change then becomes.

Instead of closing doors look to open them.

Let Your Feelings Flow:

When you resist your emotions you simply make them stronger.

Instead of suppressing your emotions let them flow. If you're sad be sad. If you're angry be angry. Let your feelings out.

When I was told I was moving to Shanghai I spent a great deal of time crying. Having lived in Texas for 8 years I had created many wonderful relationships and it was tough for me to say goodbye. Because I allowed myself to cry and to feel the time it took me to "recover" was greatly reduced.

Feel - Breathe. Repeat. Eventually you will be able back to your good old self.

Embrace Change:

I'd be lying to you if I said all change is easy. It's not. Yet as human beings, it is my belief, that we have an obligation to make the most out of our time on earth.

Looking at change in a positive light is essential. Sure it may take time to fully adapt to the changes in your life but our attitude directly determines the time in which we remain stuck.

In order to live a happy and successful life we must learn not to be scared of change but rather embrace it with every ounce of strength we have.

Are you afraid of change? I think it's time you live.

No comments:

Post a Comment